Friday, March 16, 2018

Spring Flying and My New Stuff

Last weekend I was still cross country skiing and flying model airplanes over the snow but this weekend looks to be snow-free and low wind. There is still much I want to do as far as building new models, the last part of projects always seem to take the longest. For quick builds I had built a couple of small catapult gliders from J&H Aerospace and have been test flying over snow and this week grass. Small gliders take tiny adjustments to get flying well, I am learning. The gliders I built are the Aleda and Carbonette 8.  I did get in some test glides of the New Gollywock I built from O’Reilly plans, glide looks good, time to braid a rubber motor.


Extreme Closeup of Rotary Damper for Building DT
Close-up of Plastic Clock for building DT
Carbonette 8 Catapult Glider



New Gollywock Test Glide


My home computer was getting really old so I purchased a new Dell pc that is really tiny but powerful. I want to make more videos and a computer cannot be too fast for that. I am learning the Corel Ultimate video software which is similar to what I have used but yet different. For more electronic toys I purchased two different USB microscopes. The first one seems to only focus really close but the next one I purchased will focus farther away.  As I am working on an article on viscous DT timers I took many close-up pictures of rotary dampers and springs. On researching viscous DT I found many people build timers for rubber powered free flight model using what Hank Nystrom calls a “plastic clock” and other people refer to as Tomy Timers. Someone sent me a sample with the pendulum made from a quilting pin, with the spare pin they sent I created my own and it runs really well.


Timer Sample and One to Build From

As an investment in my model building I have purchased several items. For my health in the airbrush painting I am doing I purchased a respirator mask. For bending music wire I purchased a small needle nose pliers and a new wire cutter with longer handles. After so much use the old wire cutters become just about worthless. 


For Spray Painting


Witch Hawk 500 Stab



BMJR Streak


My first large glow powered free flight the Witch Hawk 500 is coming along well. The wing and stab were covered with Polyspan and then I used the dye Larry Davidson sells. It went on better than I thought it would. To finish the Flying Aces Moth rubber model I have to build a freewheel device and install the DT. One of the two ½ A NOS models I am building requires just the DT installed and another is ready for covering.


Related Links
http://www.bmjrmodels.com/  Witch Hawk 500, Streak, and Smarty kits

http://www.modelflight.com/larrydavidson.html  - Polyspan & Dye

http://jhaerospace.com/  Aleda and Carbonette catapult gliders

https://www.jimoreillymodelplans.com/  New Gollywock

http://www.texastimers.com/  - Plastic Clocks

https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/products/videostudio/ultimate/?sourceid=vsp2018-xx-ppc_brkws&x-vehicle=ppc_brkws&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1q3VBRCFARIsAPHJXrHtvYxDaJLa9j0uxZVQnpc9ad4EfbVIICfH1BxOcKr_0bwALYQ7yDoaArp6EALw_wcB  Corel Video editing software


No comments:

Post a Comment